2020 10 28 Although we were disappointed not to be able to participate in another amazing in-person event in Miami this year, we were very excited by what emerged during this year’s virtual Cyber Summit.
We’ve put together the personal top takeaways from some of our team to share with you:
Nick Keene, Presales Engineer
- Backup really is dead (but not quite): Acronis is not really pivoting away from backup, but Cyber Protection is definitely where it’s at – and backup forms only one small part of this. Cyber Protect is already a great product and Acronis is dedicated to making it better. Acronis is already an established and trusted backup & recovery vendor; most new enhancements in the pipeline are geared towards improving the security offerings – evidenced by their recent acquisitions (e.g. Devicelock). New developments in the backup space are mainly around supporting new workloads such as MySQL and MariaDB and support for native NAS agents (as well as new hypervisor support) coming down the line. Summing up, I would say that Cyber Protection (data protection + cybersecurity) is the focus going forward.
- Cyber Platform is key: Acronis is pushing its developer platform and encouraging integration without being hung up on exclusivity. More on the Acronis Cyber Platform here.
- Partners, partners, partners: Acronis really wants everyone to be a service provider – the push to allow service providers to sell traditional licenses is evidence of this. They’re working hard to educate their partners and service providers to “get with the program” on security – there was extensive information, e.g. here, on how to get going with a Cyber Protection service business.
Matt Stenvert, Sales Consultant
- A statement by the Acronis founder and CEO Serguei “SB” Beloussov during the #CyberFit Press Room session really struck me. He said, “Our partners and resellers are IT doctors”, highlighting the fact that in both fields, a specialist level of education is required to treat severe/near-fatal incidents. Furthermore, both medical doctors and IT personnel need to remain up to date with the latest trends in their fields to respond to potential threats with greater efficiency.
- During the session The Future of Cyber Protection, SB announced that Acronis will be enabling integrations from multiple other companies in the near future, which shows how serious Acronis is about bolstering their already substantial cyber protection offering with other well-respected technologies.
Rebecca Domingo, Marketing & Communications
- Two very hands-on sessions in the Marketing track stood out for me. Existing Acronis partners will definitely benefit from the panel discussion on using Partner Portal assets and content libraries to beef up marketing campaigns to all parts of the funnel; and the workshop on identifying and using your currently underutilised marketing assets will benefit both the marketing beginner and the seasoned pro.
Shannon Kroger, Inside Sales Professional
- I joined Synapsys in early March – a few weeks before South Africa went into hard lockdown. Unlike the rest of the Synapsys team, my first experience of an Acronis Global Summit was in my office, behind my desk, cup of coffee in hand, rather than in sunny Miami and meeting people from all over the world. That said, it was amazing to see almost 10,000 people from all around the world attend this virtual event, which highlights one good thing to come from the pandemic: it shattered financial, logistical, time, and other barriers – many more were able to participate and benefit from the knowledge shared!
- Much of what really stood out for me in the Summit had to do with the fact that the pandemic has forced us to change the way we approach cyber protection – from basic education and awareness around potential risks, to procedures to follow in the event of an attack.
- Change is the only constant in digital technology, the only guarantee. A valuable response to this – the cybersecurity courses offered by the Schaffhausen Institute for Technology (SIT), where Acronis CEO SB serves on the Board of Directors.
The on-demand recordings are available until 20 December 2020, so you still have time to dive in.
Written for publication on the Synapsys website on 28 October 2020